Thursday, August 03, 2006

I want to romanticize his sleeping. I want to write here that he sleeps with the electric fan buzzing, moving his vertical blinds, shirtless and sweet. But he screams instead. He screams and screams and I don't know what to do. I nurse him and he sleeps in my arms, then wakes to scream again when I put him down. I give him milk in a bottle and he screams around the plastic nipple, sometimes drinking but sometimes choking, the milk making spots on his sheets when he throws or shakes it.

This is our worst problem, the sleeping. God, why can't he sleep? This is my first big parental failure.

4 Comments:

At 3:23 AM , Blogger Arlyah said...

I really wouldn't consider it a failure. A lot of parents have trouble with getting the baby to sleep. I was lucky and my son started sleeping through the night around 4 months old. I'm sure this next baby won't be so easy. :) What are your feelings about CIO? I had to do that for naptimes and some hard nights with my boy.

 
At 11:21 AM , Blogger Samus said...

I do that, and sometimes I do other things. CIO has been hard. Sometimes I'm having him do that, and then I find out later that he really needs something that I missed, like a dirty diaper, or a bump on his head.

Routine is the easiest way. At night, he sleeps longer if he first gets a bath (the bath has to go just so, too: scrubbing, then blowing bubbles, all the while singing); then the little light goes on, and the big light goes off; then lotion, diaper and a shirt; then "Where The Wild Things Are"; then we turn off the little light and look at the glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling while singing "Twinkle Twinkle"; then I turn on the thing that lights up and does the ocean noise on his crib. If all that's done correctly, and his belly is full, he'll sleep until three.

It's the naps that suck. I'm still just flailing around.

 
At 1:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it possible to develop a routine for nap time, too?!

 
At 10:25 PM , Blogger Samus said...

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. That I needed to do nap routines. They're just a bit harder.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home