Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hanging out with teenagers in the irc channel has reminded me what it is to know everything, to have it all figured out. What I wouldn't do for some of that now!

I'm increasingly aware of my ignorance in many areas of my life, lately. Parenting, of course, is the biggie. You always think you'll be that parent who won't even need to discipline your kid; a look askance will be enough to deter them from harm and wrongdoing. It doesn't work that well in practice, except on certain kinds of kids, with parents who are not you. Or me.

Even WoW. Some sad recent shit caused me to leave behind my sexy purple fart, my shadow spec. I liked being the only main priest in FoH to be specced shadow. Nobody expected much of me; I could always blame my bad healing on it; and soloing, which is what I do 97% of the time, was a snap. I'm in FoH not because I'm uber but because I went out to sushi with Furor and other FoH'ers of merit a few times, and I greased their proverbial slip-n-slides into the WoW beta. So I have the tag; it's very pretty, and people seem to respect it, plus I sometimes get to hear Furor yell at people, which is always fun when it's not me.

The other day, though, I logged on to an immediate invite to a raid. Curious, I took it, and the summon that followed, and found myself in a lake in Feralas. There was a big dragon waiting to be kilt, and we were the guild to do it.



Except, actually, we weren't. After we choked, Forgotten Aspects moved in, did their own choke, and then following our next choke, killed it themselves. While paging through my screenshots of the event, it may well be my fault, even though there was drama involving aggro by an FA guy, or something. The reason I blame myself?



You'll notice I'm wearing a blue dress. I received it at the end of a Valentine's quest line for helping an undead guy contact his lost love from beyond the grave. The blue dress is very pretty, sells to vendor for one copper, and has exactly zero stats on it. Hy wanted to see it, so I put it on for him, and promptly forgot to put my goddamn armor back on. I ran oom in about three seconds.

It's this kind of stupidity that follows me around in WoW these days. During an ubrs raid last week, I managed to dispel a friendly hunter trap, get killed several times, forget that I could cast Prayer of Fort on other groups besides mine, and ninjaloot that one skinning knife that, it turned out, everyone else in the raid desperately wanted. (Really, I rolled for it and won fair and square, but I hadn't trained daggers and so couldn't skin all the stuff in the dungeon. People were very, very sandy about it all.)

***

I've built up a reputation in FoH as the spoiled youngest sister who gets away with whatever she wants and doesn't have to do as much work because it's being taken care of by other siblings. But during that first dragon fight, other healers took notice of my lack of skillz. It became a problem.

So, on the way to the next dragon, everyone was feeling edgy and hateful and Edragonshade suggested, not entirely kindly, that I respec while in Orgrimmar. So he walked me through it and I'm now a disc/holy kind of girl.

I'm sure that it was my new leet healing powah that caused us to kick ass at the next dragon.



Here's a better shot of it, with some other guys taking a sorry crack at him:



Aren't these dragons just fucking gorgeous?

You can thank this guy:



***

You know that totally emo part in Interview With The Vampire where whatsisface says that making another vampire took the last breath of him that was human? I sort of feel like that with Samus. I enjoyed not running out of mana during that fight. I felt like a veritable mana font, gushing forth with healing goodness. But that respec really took the last breath of Samus that was uber. I know, I know, if I want to go around shadowing people to death I can be a warlock, but I love being a priest. I love being able to get out of almost anything. I love scaring people at the door of an instance by sinking into my purple fart shadowform. I'll just say it: I love melting face.

It's sad, fighting solo now. There isn't much to do, and it takes a long time for things to die. Sometimes I log in, kill a few things in The Noxious Glade, say something silly in gchat, and wither in the silence.

***

Then, I log on to Samoo.

Samoo is my party character. She's a night elf druid, and she does not wear pants unnecessarily. If she isn't fighting, she isn't pantsing. She's level sixteen now, and she belongs to a guild called Showgirls of Stormwind.

Before you get all up in my grill, let me sexplain. The Showgirls are mostly low-level alts whose main purpose in life is to dance and get drunk in Stormwind, to flirt and be happy. This is just the antidote to my hardcore FoH blues.

Upon joining, I received a gold, a tabard, and a red guild snake in the mail as a welcome gift. A 300 chanter whispered that I should send her my stuff to make it glowy, and refused my offerings of money and items. I was dumbfounded. Samus has never had an enchant, because she can't bring herself to beg for them.

Samoo's only obligation is to dance in Stormwind on Saturday nights after 8:00 p.m. Here we are at the Darkmoon Faire outside Goldshire, drinking it up, last Saturday.



Almost makes it worth being a night elf.

4 Comments:

At 2:34 AM , Blogger Arlyah said...

Poor Samus. Respecs are always hard for me. I've gone both ice/arc and fire/arc with my mage. It took a while to get used to killing slower with ice, but I enjoy not nearly dying each fight. :) Maybe you'll come to love being a holy priest. Not sure I really believe that, because I can't stand playing a priest, but it's a nice thought huh. hehe. At least you've got Samoo for some fun. Go feral!

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Samus said...

Would you believe I'm going restore? I hate looking at that big bear ass all the time. It takes up my whole screen. Plus, I like healing, believe it or not. I figured, maybe being a restore druid would mean I could be a healer and still have the armor to solo.

Oh, and thanks for thanking me on Hyjal forums. <3 <3

 
At 2:45 AM , Blogger Arlyah said...

*tag* http://www.kwiz.biz/simplesurveys/do-survey.php

 
At 12:05 AM , Blogger S. said...

when i broke my neck i lived on irc. i played archmage and played on irc and it was fantastic and no one knew i was actually a cripple. sometimes, i am pretty sure irc saved me from ending my life.

irc saved my life. now i run around making out with strangers and making really bad archmage/d&d jokes to my friends and they basically don't get them. i will always be a really fucking weird loser. i love it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home