Friday, February 03, 2006

Ever since I first rode my horse bones into Silithus, way back in beta, when it was populated only with enormous bones and distant, elite, buzzing hives many stories high, I wanted to find out what was behind the huge closed gates in the South. I heard rumors: that the gates could only be opened by multiple, high-level raids far in the future.

Then, over a year, two moves and one kid later, I heard tell that the time was coming. I made it a priority to be there yesterday when Sean banged the gong on Hyjal.

So, apparently, did a whole hell of a lot of other people.



It took seven server crashes before things really got underway. A lot of big Anubis things and their big bug pets stalked all over the place, and three gigantor bugs took up residence in the three big Silithus hives. I first went to check out a gigantor bug. Before I had ridden in close enough to even see the bug, I saw random alliance flying toward me. Literally. Dropped from the sky, to die at my feet. So I felt a natural affinity for the bug; obviously, he knew what to do with filthy alliances, right?

I got in close enough to see him, then, and he was a beaut.



If I look alone here, it's because I was. Everyone else had been thrown into the air. I knew that killing him would mean a big bag of loots for me, though, so I went ahead and threw a little DOT his way.

"Et tu, Samus?" he cried, and threw me away like so much stinky alliance. However, because he truly did love me, he gave me a chance: I landed, safe and sound, atop one of those creepy hive leg things.



All of Silithus laid out before me, I paused to take some photos, tucked my digicam back into my robe, hit levitate, and jumped.

Did I forget to mention the lag? At that time, there was about a sixteen-second lag on casts. I forgot to wait for it. Several seconds after reaching the ground, the server discovered that I was just broken, crunchy dead bones on the sand, and told me so.

***

After dinner, I joined FoH to kill some big Anubis fellows. I was no good at anything, but it didn't matter because other people were. Once everyone seemed to be sufficiently healed up, I just went shadow and DPSed the shit out of things. We all died, we all got yelled at, Sean flirted, and Behe told me he'd broken Slansin's eye during a loving, brotherly wrestling match.



I went to bed at 3:15. The Bug woke at 3:30. I slept in the rocking chair, fitfully, and took a nap today to make up for it.

***

All in all, it was disappointing. I first made my way to Silithus when no one was there, alone on my horse. I love the sense of discovery you get in WoW. When you're first playing, you turn a corner and there's a whole other place, with all new colors and hidden caves and things. The fact that the gates of Silithus open to another set of swirly instance doors makes me sad. I thought I'd be able to wander in, look around, meet another flight guy. It makes me wonder if the land beyond the dark portal will be the same: just another place I won't have time to see.

But, at least I can say I was there.

9 Comments:

At 12:46 AM , Blogger Arlyah said...

You left out this lovely part.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/tischtrio/justafewoftheassholesonthequestnpcs.jpg

 
At 12:47 AM , Blogger Arlyah said...

"Et tu, Samus?" he cried, and threw me away like so much stinky alliance. However, because he truly did love me, he gave me a chance: I landed, safe and sound, atop one of those creepy hive leg things.


This part made me giggle out loud. hehe.

Overall the whole thing ended up being a dissapointment.

 
At 3:41 PM , Blogger Samus said...

Ooh, you got a better shot of the crowd than I did!

 
At 3:43 PM , Blogger Samus said...

Oh wait, was this when the um NPCs wouldn't give the quest? Furor was saying all they had to do was leave them alone for two minutes and they'd do it. Did they ever give the quest? Cause I went to bed.

 
At 3:46 PM , Blogger Samus said...

Also, I'm a dumbass: you play on Hyjal? Name?

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger Arlyah said...

Yeah, thats from the quest camping. We never got the quests. Sooo lame. :( Arlya is the name, I'm alliance though.

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger S. said...

i am never online when oyu IM me. goddamn me for having a social life.

 
At 1:50 PM , Blogger Samus said...

You should be sitting at home, waiting for my messages, Sabrina.

 
At 2:27 AM , Blogger S. said...

i will be. i will be. i am home all day on tuesdays. ALL DAY.

go chinese awesome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home