Thursday, August 11, 2005

I'm up because, at 3 a.m., the kid woke in a pool of his own pee. He was very disgusted and sad about the whole thing and, after the beating with sticks, needed a lot of soothing to get over the trauma. He eventually fell asleep to the sound of my belly growling. I like to think this is nice for him, something he remembers from being inside me. At any rate, it meant cereal time once he was down.

Halfway through the soothing bit, Mr. Aran came shuffling out, looking like a sleepwalker, pulling off his necklace. With the kid's tiny face so near me, and my husband in his boxers a few feet away, there was almost too much beauty in the room to breathe. It was like someone had sprayed on way too much perfume.

Mr. Aran was up, though, because his back hurts. He has an old injury from his college kickboxing days, a herniation, that acts up sometimes and can be completely debilitating. For the last two weeks, he's done a lot of bending and lifting the kid, and that seems to have been enough.

He isn't complaining, or even asking for help like he used to. I have a hard time standing aside and watching this. Doing something makes me feel better, even if it does nothing for him. All he wants to do is sit in his stiff-backed chair and play his PvP hunter awhile, forget about the scary fragile pain, but I have to cluck at him about massage and ice packs and sleep.

Soon, the sun will rise. And that will be nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home