Wednesday, August 10, 2005

If he's falling asleep, I will sometimes tilt my head, bring his face to mine, and kiss him on the lopsided lips, something I have only ever done before to lovers.

***

His skin is peeling all over. He is shedding the skin he needed inside of me. "He doesn't need lotion," says my mother. "Think about it: he was underwater for nine months."

***

All over my apartment is furniture badly made. Dressers with drawers that must be shoved shut, a bed frame with missing screws, a changing table with a base that had to be cut to fit with my pocket knife. I can't put together Ikea furniture but I made a whole person. And now I'm expected to feed it exclusively from my body, and pat the burps out, and keep it clean, and safe enough that it survives into its adulthood.

***

Today we listened to Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home