Saturday, October 28, 2006

Gee, I'd never have guessed

I picked up John Irving's latest hardcover, Until I Find You, at the B&N. I read the back, got as far as some text involving a young man and older women... and put it back down like it was on fire.

I'm tired, tired, tired of John Irving's old themes. I've ranted about it before, so I won't again here, but I will say my problem with him is probably compounded by the fact that A Prayer For Owen Meany remains my favorite book of all time. I expect too much from Irving, probably. I don't begrudge Amy Tan her repetitiveness because, though I've enjoyed a couple of her novels, they don't have a permanent spot in my memory and history.

I was looking around for that flap copy so I could show you here but I ran into this article instead.

It was while writing Until I Find You that Irving discovered the identity of his own biological father. In addition, he has gone public about being seduced as a pre-teen by an older woman, a fate that also befalls Jack.


Ahhhh sooooo.

Let's hope to god this means Irving is going to get past this and move on to other subjects for his next book.

But I doubt it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home