Saturday, December 11, 2004

Of Boys and Men

It got out, somehow, that I have this blog, to a few boys I play video games with. They thought my entry on indigestion was hilarious, and they think they own me by mentioning it in the least clever ways.

The truth is, if it were embarassing to me, I wouldn't have posted it. So a woman has trouble with digestion while pregnant. Their own mothers suffered the same while attempting to bring their sorry asses into the world, and any woman who has the misfortune to get pregnant by them will suffer the same.

Embarassment at my own truth faded from me years ago, when I sold my writing to a publication so well-known that I had to admit some shitty things about my psyche to my rather Christian family, who I never cared to disrespect. There were things in that story that I'd been pretty good about keeping from my family before then. If I survived that, I can certainly survive the boy's mocking of my cashew farts. He's too dim to see that I wrote it to make fun of myself, to find some silliness in the sickness and discomfort I've felt these last few weeks. I'm not surprised. I can only hope that one day he grows up into the kind of man who can claim one good partner for himself, and create or adopt whatever kind of family is appropriate for him, instead of chasing after the wives of others, a boy who should have long outgrown his Oedipal complex.

--

I should be in bed, but it feels so good to not be sick that I have a hard time allowing myself to sleep. I know I'll feel like three kinds of hell in the morning. I bought accupressure wristbands that are supposed to take away nausea - we'll see how that works tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home