Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I've been in one of the best guilds in WoW. It is much older and more accomplished than the one this guy talks about in this post I will link. Although I was one of the crappy 12-hour a week guildies at my pinnacle, I observed the 10-hour a day'ers, and what he says is true.

It reminds me of a girl who, back in beta, posted something like, "The server never stays up for twelve hours at a time." My immediate reaction was, How do you know? The people who complained about lack of content and too-fast levelling were the ones who logged on right after pushing the button on the coffee machine in the morning and logged out after the raid at 3:00 AM.

One of the greatest players, who hailed back from EQ and maybe even further back, sent me a text message one day with a picture attached of a pile of game discs, broken and in the trash. He was in his early twenties, with a college education he wasn't really using, living with his parents, and he hadn't yet kissed a girl. I was so proud of him. I still am. Real life is scary and painful for him, but he's doing beautifully.

The only thing that really irks me about this article is how the guy consistently blames Blizzard. There's a reason some of those instances are on timers, sir. They're trying to keep you from pushing across the Middle East every damn day. Rested bonuses were implemented to convince players to log off while levelling. Blizzard has always understood the addictive quality of a mmorpg, and taken responsibility for it to whatever extent they can.

It smacks of blame. Taking responsibility for yourself is key, people. If this guy were really into drinking and he quit because his group of "friends" were breaking up and being destructive and, hey, acting like addicts, he wouldn't be blaming Jose Cuervo.

There are millions (yes, millions) of us who enjoy WoW for exactly what it is: beautiful, exciting fun. It is not a job. It is not a social life. It is a game. Some people can't have just one glass of wine with dinner, and some people can't play just a couple hours at night. It's up to us as adults to know this about ourselves, and it is up to us as parents to know this about our kids and take necessary action.

Okay, that all said, here's the article.

1 Comments:

At 10:37 AM , Blogger Samus said...

Oh yeah. I feel you. I always leave a raid tired and grumpy because I've spent hours hungry and desperately needing to pee. Even as the lowest priest on the totem pole, my absence would be felt.

As far as Blizzard goes, I've been watching the game almost since inception and you since they announced, I bet. They had a quest system, and people bitched because they like to grind. They put in grinding, and now people bitch about grinding. They had instances, and people bitched about no world monsters. So they put those in. I swear to you, the guys are not sitting around a conference table going, "How can we make WoW more addictive today? We want those virgin boys glued to their seats!"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home