Friday, May 05, 2006

I think I've started the hardest part, physically, of mothering: the toddler years. Now that The Bug is as mobile as he wants to be, there are no easy bathroom breaks. I can no longer leave him in the living room with a toy while I make a sandwich. He must be watched at all times, even in his crib or playpen, lest he fall in his signature neck-bending way. He did it at Gymboree today.

Even with all the help I have, I'm a wreck. I can't wait for the busy mornings that are followed by hours of schooltime, during which I can work, clean, and eat.

Maybe I'm wrong. The hardest part must be with multiple kids.

4 Comments:

At 4:54 PM , Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

I don't think your "hard" has to be compared to anyone else's hard, such as mothers with more than one child...it's your experience, and when it's difficult, that's the objective truth of it. BUT...if you want a little, "well, I do have it easier than x..." story: my dear friend, let's call her Sally, has CP--she's one of the "lucky" ones for whom it did not affect her mental acuity, but has impaired her mobility. She walks with crutches. She has a disabled three year old daughter who only started walking six months ago (the child's disability is totally unrelated to the mother's) against all odds. Sally just had a second baby. When her toddler is feeling spunky, she'll take Mommy's crutches out of Mommy's reach and put them across the house and then throw a temper tantrum, wielding her newfound power. If Sally did not have a service dog, she would have to crawl across the house to get her own crutches, which, while pregnant with her son, was almost impossible for her to do.

Fun times.

:)

 
At 9:32 PM , Blogger Samus said...

Yeah, that made me feel pretty lucky!

 
At 5:44 PM , Blogger Jordan E. Rosenfeld said...

The irony, of course, is that she loves mothering and doesn't "understand," she tells me, when other mothers complain about things she finds to be no problem...but I think she's kind of one who has always had to embrace adversity...

ugh...I have a cold and it's making me sound stupid.

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger S. said...

my mom had three kids under three. it's safe to say that we didnt make her insane all at once, but being so close in age growing up at once--we fucking broke her eventually.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home